6.21.2012

Let's Talk Lifestyle Changes

I feel as though I'm always posting about changing the way we live. I suppose there isn't anything wrong with that, I mean, who wouldn't want to change the way they live to make it just right for them?
We're constantly learning so it only makes sense to adjust things accordingly.

Let's talk Ketogenics.

Your body is probably using carbohydrates as its source of fuel, think of it as lighting a fire with newspaper, sure it burns but it quickly needs more paper or it will burn out.
Now imagine you have a whole stack of logs you aren't using, the logs represent fat, wouldn't you rather burn the fat?
Ketogenics is a low carb diet. Once you don't fuel your body with carbs, it starts to burn the fat stores (by the way, fat is how your body stores carbs).

We are switching to a ketogenic diet.

The most famous keto diet is Atkins, I'm sure you've probably heard of it. High fat, moderate protein, low carbs. Of course, this diet has a bad rap because people were using it as an excuse to eat truckloads of bacon and sticks of butter, which is definitely not what the diet is about (you still eat the normal 2000 calories a day). The fat comes from cooking in olive oil, eating fatty fish (like salmon) and/or small amounts of cheeses. The proteins are your basics, meat and eggs.  Carbs are kept to a minimum, the main source of carbs is veggies.
You start out with a small amount of carbs and slowly introduce more until you find your limit, meaning if you get to a point where you're reversing and your body starts burning carbs again then you need to cut back.

Now, I'm not a Dr, nutritionist, or dietician. I'm just a regular person, my husband is desperate to lose weight, he has tried plenty of diets and goes to the gym daily, he asked me to do this with him and I agreed. I thought I'd blog about the journey in case it might help someone out there in bloggy land.

I will be posting my stats (and his) and what we're eating, etc. We're making our grocery list and hoping to jump straight into this diet as soon as we get to the store.
I hope you'll check back soon to see how we're doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, thank you for stopping by!