1.05.2013

The 2013 List



For the past couple years (2012 and 2011)  I have written about the goals I'd like to accomplish for the new year. This year I've noticed a trend. Instead of resolutions pick a word to live your whole year by.
A word of the year, that seems simple enough to do!
Since I find these two equally important, I am choosing two words.

Consistency
and
Calm

This year I resolve to be consistent. Keep with a routine. Knowing what to expect will keep me sane (especially with a new baby) and keep my children sane. I used to be very good about keeping everyone on some sort of a routine but I just got lazy about it. Now there is a bit of chaos in the house and it's stressing me out and I know it's stressing the kids out. The hardest part will be figuring out a balance between keeping a routine and also allowing time to be spontaneous. I suppose if we make sure to eat lunch at 12 everyday we can still be spontaneous and eat our lunch as a picnic at the park.
I must be consistent! Not just with routine though, I must be consistent about allowing a set amount of screen time for all of us, what the rules of the house are,  figuring out consequences for certain actions, etc. Consistency is the key word this year.

This year I resolve to be calm. Ah, my life used to be so calm when my babies were 1 and 3, even 2 and 4! Now that they are 3 and 5 they are starting to push the limits of what they can get away with. Yes, sometimes it makes me angry. Instead of wanting to blow up at the kids I need to take a step back and breathe through things that upset me. Walking away from a situation until I can think clearly enough to come back and make a decision, remembering my children are still young, understanding that even they might not know why they did something, sometimes "because" really is the answer! I think (and hope) that when consistency comes back into our lives then calm will naturally come with it. 

So there you have it, my two words to live by for 2013. Since I told you all, I'm expecting you to hold me accountable!!!!

Are you making a list of resolutions or choosing a word to live by this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, thank you for stopping by!