8.03.2011

Strawberry Lemonade Pie

My husband loves lemons, he claims it's because he has Mexican in his blood (he is part Mexican) I'm just not sure loving lemons is an actual Mexican trait though. Soooo, when McDonald's came out with their Frozen Strawberry Lemonade he became hooked. 
couponingtobedebtfree.com

I felt like every time I turned around he magically had a new one in his hand. I can't say that the Frozen Strawberry Lemonade isn't good, because it is good, but dang are they ever sour! 
Anywho, when I saw a recipe for a Strawberry-Lemonade Icebox Pie in the June 2011 issue of Martha Stewart Living Magazine, I knew I had to make it for my lemon loving husband. 

Guess what, he loved it. 

So here are the pictures from making it, I hope you check out the recipe and give it a try, especially if you love Frozen Strawberry Lemonade from McDonald's.

(BTW, this was supposed to be a recipe with the kids but Charlotte was promptly kicked out of the kitchen for not listening, Momma don't play that in the kitchen.)

Graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter

Buttery crumb mountain!


Use the bottom of a measuring cup to flatten your crust

Toasty after baking

Sweetened condensed milk and eggs, Char said it looked like a face



3 large lemons gave me 2/3 cup of lemon juice

Stirring the juice, condensed milk, and eggs...it was stinky

Before baking

After baking


Macerating the strawberries in sugar and lemon juice

Egg whites and sugar over a pot of boiling water


I whipped the egg whites by hand resulting in a less fluffy more gooey meringue



YUM!
This was a super delicious pie, the lemon custard part (consistency of Key Lime Pie) was very tart but the strawberries and meringue gave it enough sweetness to balance it out. Even though the girls seemed to have inherited the lemon eating trait from Travis they both thought the lemon custard was too tart and ate only the strawberries.
We had a little bit of pie leftover so we put it in the fridge, it did alright, the juices from the strawberries soaked into the crust and the meringue became chewy instead of crispy on top. The tastes were absolutely the same, it was just a texture difference. I wouldn't leave it more than a night in the fridge, in fact, I'd recommend eating it the same day. I will be keeping this recipe handy, especially for summer months, it would be the perfect pie for a family gathering or picnic!

2 comments:

  1. haha! "momma don't play that!" too funny! this looks sooooo yummy! gonna have to give it a whirl! thanks for sharing this at my tip-toe thru tuesday party! hope to see you again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Andie! Hope you enjoy the pie if you make it :)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments, thank you for stopping by!