12.08.2011

Activity Calendar {Day 8}

I've been waiting for this day! Day 8! Because I knew it was going to be making marshmallows! We made marshmallows for last year's calendar and they were so simple and fun to make together, I just couldn't keep it off this year's list of activities. 

Before I get started telling you all about the marshmallows, don't forget our joke of the day!

Knock, knock!
Who's there?
Snow.
Snow who?
Snow use - I've forgotten my name!

Charlotte loves Knock, Knock jokes so this was a hit! 

Now on to the marshmallows! 
Last year, I was boohooing about not being able to make Martha Stewart's Candy-Cane marshmallow recipe. Well this year we made it, and, I was not disappointed!
Charlotte mixing the sugar, water and corn syrup
Here is a combination of sugar, water, corn syrup, gelatin, egg whites, and peppermint extract after beating it for about 12-15 minutes. It's marshmallow fluff!
The recipe called for a 8x8 pan, mine was being used at the time so I thought a 9" round pan would work fine. 
NOPE!
If we make this recipe again next year, I will use a 9x13 pan, it makes a lot of marshmallow.
Charlotte swirling the red coloring
Pretty sure the marshmallow isn't supposed to mound over the top of the pan like this.
After it set up over night, I flipped it out of the pan and cut it up into squares.
Make sure you cover every surface marshmallow will touch with powdered sugar.
Cutting board, knife, bowl, everything!
It's amazing how sticky this stuff is!
My cute little squares ready to be coated with sugar
This recipe made so many marshmallows I'm not quite sure what to do with them all!
Thank goodness I'm expecting a lot of guests for Christmas this year, I hope they like peppermint marshmallows!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, thank you for stopping by!